Places to walk in Houston Houston Walking Trails Houston Hiking Houston Hike and Bike Trails Trails in Houston Where to walk in Houston Where can I walk in Houston Nature Trails in Houston Walking

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Seymour Lieberman Exercise Trail


This is the go to walking/jogging trail in Houston. If you live anywhere near Memorial Park and need to get your exercise in for the day, without wanting to think too much about it, then you'll most likely find yourself here at Seymour Lieberman Exer-Trail

This is an almost 3-mile long loop that envelopes the Memorial Park Golf Course. Free parking is found right along the trail on East and West Memorial Loop Dr. The trail is mostly very wide, so even though there are often hundreds of people on the trail at one time, you generally don't feel squeezed out of your space or trampled on by fellow exercise enthusiasts. Also, for those who don't like to run on asphalt or concrete, you'll like it here because it's crushed granite and packed earth.

Something, undefined about this trail lends itself to focused exercise. When you're serious about getting in a proper work-out, you'll find that everyone else at the trail is too. To my liking, you won't find too many talkative groups or gossiping friends wandering the trail. What you will find are sweaty people of all shapes and sizes focusing on health, heart rate, stretching and breath catching. It's nice to see so much intent.

Found all along the trail, are a few -minimal- exercise stations, quite a few rest benches and nothing much else. However, toward the north side of the trail near the club house, tennis courts and driving range, you will find: public restrooms, a larger exercise station, and a 1/4 mile asphalt time track.

I'll confess, I haven't always thought of the Seymour Lieberman Trail as the most beautiful place to walk. I first, always envision that wide swath of dirt trail as hard work to get around. But, as I so often am, when visiting these trails for the purpose of writing about them, I'm proven incorrect in my thinking. The trail is surrounded by beauty, I was just always so focused on exercise when I was there, I never really noticed it until now. Although it doesn't provide much shade to the trail, the forest area is a true sight to behold, especially given that's it's so close to downtown Houston. Some pretty blooming plants can still be seen - even in the Houston heat. Also, another little spot of beauty I never noticed before, is the little stone bridge, built for passing over a man made water way - it looks like a natural, picturesque brook. Amazing, all I had to do was open my eyes!
Wild Petunia

Aside from the natural beauty that surrounds this trail, there is lots of history in the park too, most of which I will save for future blog posts about other areas in the park, but I do want to mention one of the important historical facts about the park and that is - it was set aside as a memorial to those who lost their lives in World War I. Now that I'm reminded of it, I'll certainly keep those who fought for us in my mind while I'm on the trail and in the park. Keeping healthy, and observing natural beauty are always good ways to honor those who go before us.

Happy Houston Trails

Tamara

No comments:

Post a Comment